The Facility can perform Genotyping by two methods: fragment analysis and high resolution melt analysis.
The Facility has a 3730 DNA Analyzer (Applied Biosystems, Inc.) that can analyze DNA fragments labeled with a fluorescent dye to determine the size of the fragment with a resolution of one base. With 48 capillaries the instrument can analyze up to 48 samples simultaneously as well as accommodate 96-, or 384-well plates. The 3730 DNA Analyzer has the ability to multiplex within one capillary by the use of 5 different fluorescent dyes, and/or differing fragment size.
The Facility can perform such techniques as allelic determination, amplified length polymorphism analysis (AFLP), microsatellite analysis (STR and SSR), and single nucleotide polymorphism analysis (SNapshot).
Please consult the Procedures for Genotyping [pdf] document for complete instructions.
The Facility has the following software to aid in the analysis of the data generated by the 3730 DNA Analyzer (*.fsa files) by the Facility staff: GeneMapper and GeneMarker. In addition, there are 4 free programs available for analyzing the electropherogram files with varying levels of features:
- Xplorer (Windows or Mac; also part of dnaLIMS)
- PeakScanner (Windows)
- STRand (Windows)
- PeakStudio (Mac or Windows)
High Resolution Melt Analysis
Please see the real-time PCR service.
How to place a order:
- Go to dnaLIMS and login
(or create an account if you have not done so previously)
- Click on the "96- and 48-Well Plate Requests" link under the "Fragment Analysis header"
- Follow the instructions.
How to deliver samples
How to get results:
- An email will be sent to you when the .fsa (electropherogram) files are available
- Log into dnaLIMS and click on "Download Fragment Analysis Results"
- For electropherogram analysis results an email will be sent to you and then log into dnaLIMS and go to the "Download" tab
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. These are designated by [pdf] following the link. If you require these materials in alternate format contact our web manager.